Your student’s public image is one of the most-important things for them to project and preserve. They have only one chance to make a first impression. Your student will be judged not only on their musical and visual performance, but on their appearance as well. They are constantly being viewed by the general public, audiences, judges and bands from other schools.
The appearance and behavior of every single band and color guard member reflects on the appearance and behavior of the entire group!
ANHS Marching Band
♦ All Marching Band members wear uniforms consisting of:
- Black bibs (trousers)
- Shako (with exception of front ensemble)
- Black socks
- Super Drillmaster black marching shoes – purchased by student
♦ Underneath the uniform, students are required to wear:
- Show t-shirt
- Black socks - purchased by student
- Black athletic shorts – purchased by student
♦ Uniform requirements and rules for all Marching Band students:
- Always hang the uniform properly after each use to avoid wrinkles and odd creases
- Always wear the show-themed t-shirt under your uniform, along with a pair of light shorts or tights in which you may change. You may need to don your uniform in view of the public.
- Uniforms should be fully zipped and not worn in any unprofessional way
- Clean your marching shoes before each performance so they are free from scuffs and dirt
- Always carry the shako in your left hand with the silver emblem facing forward
- Be sure to have clean black socks at every performance!
- Never take your uniform home
- Never wear partial uniforms unless allowed/instructed to do so by a staff member
- Do not wear shakos backwards or carry like a bucket
- Hair should never extend lower than the collar of your band uniform. All long hair (female and male) must be tucked into the shako
- Jewelry or make up is NOT permitted while in full uniform (Color Guard excepted)
- Never eat or drink anything other than water while in full uniform
♦ Marching Band students must wear Black Leather Marching Band shoes for all performances and competitions!
Our marching shoe is the Super Drill Master, which is purchased individually. Sizing sessions will be held during pre-summer band camp, at which time we ask that you pay for your order. Shoes will be bulk ordered and delivered to students in August. The price of the shoe is $50 per pair, which includes sales tax and shipping charges.
♦ Students are provided a show-themed t-shirt which must be worn under the uniform at all performances. The show-tee is considered to be part of the uniform and must not be cut, written upon or altered in any way.
Please check with the Director of Bands if you have any questions concerning uniform requirements and policies.
To assist us with uniforms during the Fall season, contact our Uniform Chairperson via e-mail.
Instead of marching band uniforms, the Color Guard wears costumes similar to outfits used in dance theater (ie: leotard based). A new customized costume is designed each year to match the Fall show’s theme. Depending on the year, there may be a different costume used for Winter Guard than that used in Fall Marching Band season. Color and Winter Guard costumes are purchased individually by each student.
Like other units in Marching Band, Color Guard students are provided a t-shirt with the Fall show’s theme. The show t-shirt is considered to be part of the Color Guard costume, and must not be cut, written upon or altered in any way.
A note to Color Guard parents: Do not purchase the Super Drill Master Marching Shoe! Color Guard members wear jazz-style shoes for performances, which are purchased individually by each student. The Color Guard Caption Head will inform members about the style, color and brand of dance shoe to purchase to ensure costume uniformity. Please refrain from purchasing dance shoes until after the Caption Head has announced his choice for the season.
Rehearsal/performance/costume rules for Color/Winter Guard members:
- all black is required at rehearsals.
- members must pull their hair away from their face for rehearsals and performances
- wear jazz shoes or running shoes at all rehearsals – no Converse™-style shoes under any circumstances!
- footwear must be worn when rehearsing outdoors – students may go barefoot when rehearsing and/or performing indoors.
- Color Guard is always dressed in costume before departure
- Color Guard may wear designated performance make-up pre-departure
- Color Guard should pack their show tee and/or their band jacket to wear over their costume if needed
- Jewelry is not permitted while in full costume
- Never eat or drink anything other than water while in full costume
- Clean your costume after each performance following the manufacturer’s care instructions
During the Spring Season, the Drum Line wears a costume based on the theme of their Spring show, rather than the Marching Band uniform.
The Concert Band appearance is formal attire. The men in Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Concert Band are required to wear black suits, white tuxedo shirts, bow ties, black socks, dress shoes and a belt. The ladies in Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Concert Band are required to wear full length black dress or a black suit.
The men in Jazz Ensemble are required to wear long sleeve white shirts, black trousers, solid dark tie, black socks, dress shoes and a belt. The ladies in Jazz Ensemble are required to wear a full length black dress or a black suit.